Marisa vs. the flu

Hi and Happy Friday!

Unfortunately, for me, it’s not such a happy Friday. The flu hit me hard. I’ve been out for the count since Wednesday with a fever, bad cough, and some hard-to-even-get-off-the-couch fatigue.

Wednesday night was actually the worst of it. The American Idol finale was on, and I was in and out of sleep on the couch. Somehow, I woke up at 10 PM, just in time to hear the winner announced: Kris Allen. I thought I might be warm just from anger over Adam Lambert losing – but then I took my temperature.

It was 104.3!

I was home alone, so I called my dad, who yelled, “TAKE TWO TYLENOL RIGHT NOW!” and hung up. (He just lost a friend to the swine flu, so he was especially panicked). I did what he said and then spoke to Mark, who immediately jumped in a cab to come over. In the 20 minutes I waited for him, I talked to my dad, brother, and Mark. We all decided that once Mark got there, he and I should go to the hospital together.

But the Tylenol helped immediately, and within the hour my temperature went down to 103.3, and then 102.1. Should we really go to the hospital? we wondered. After all, we’d probably wait in a gross waiting room all night long. We decided not to go. Instead, we stayed up ‘til about 2 AM watching TV so I could continue taking my temperature and take Tylenol once more before I went to sleep. We fielded like 80 phone calls, too – all our family and friends were so nervous! At 2 AM, Mark tucked me into bed and went to sleep on the couch. He was so anxious he fell asleep watching The Weather Channel. Poor guy!

Yesterday, Mark stayed home from work to take care of me. I felt like was 7 again, when my mom would stay home to make me tea and toast. I spent most of the day sleeping, and then Mark took me to the doctor, who didn’t seem that concerned and gave me an antibiotic “just in case.” Sometimes I hate doctors!

Today I’m just taking it easy. “Dr. Mark” had to head back to work, and I’m home monitoring my temperature and watching Top Chef reruns. I do have more energy today – not like I’m going to run a marathon, more like I might wash last night’s dishes (Mark made us enchiladas!). At least I have a 3-day weekend to feel better. So much for using the long weekend to pack for the big move – oh well!

Any tips on what helps cure the flu?